Thursday, January 15, 2009

It is freezing...let's bake


It is freezing here. We are expecting a high temperature of zero degrees. The windchill is expected to be 40 below zero tonight. whoopee. Since we are stuck inside and it is so cold outside I decided to try out some new recipes. I really like pumpkin scones. I am partial to the Starbucks pumpkin scones, but since I swore off supporting Starbucks several years ago I have not had any. I found this pumpkin scone recipe and thought I would try it. These are really good. I changed it a little bit. I almost doubled the pumpkin to about 3/4 of a cup. I only made and used one quarter of the glaze. They turned out very nice and moist. If you like your scones hard and dry, these are not for you. Now I need to package these up and give them away so that i will not eat all of them.

I could not decide whether to cut them into triangles or squares so I tried both. Do you think that they taste different like cutting your PBJ diagonally as opposed to straight in half?

I also decided to try this pumpkin bread recipe. I already have a favorite pumpkin bread recipe, but I thought I would try this one out. I am attempting to clear some of the cans out of my cupboard. I followed several of the reader suggestions from the link. I changed the sugar to 1 cup white sugar, 1 cup brown sugar. I changed the 1 cup of vegetable oil to 1/2 cup vegetable oil, 1/2 cup applesauce. The spices were changed to 2 tsp of cinnamon and the remaining spices were adjusted to 1 tsp.

Since I am not alone in the house I also made half of a recipe of the usual biscuits. It is difficult to bake when you have a set of big brown eyes staring at you. He just lays next to the oven waiting for his goods to be ready.

This is what is hanging off of the back of our neighboring buildings. Brrrr.

No comments: