Thursday, February 12, 2009

Edible love


I love homemade caramels. I have never made them before (I have candy thermometer phobia). I think it has something to do with the fact that almost every recipe warns you to be "very careful" when you add the cream because it may splatter up and burn you.
So, I decided to take a stab at it and make them for my Valentine's gifts.
I found this recipe which was actually very simple. No worry about spatter. Five ingredients. I would suggest that you follow what the recipe states. Don't be impatient like me. When it says to let the caramels cool completely, they mean it. I could not wait to wrap them up and some of them have a tendency to stick to the wax paper wrap. Learn from my mistakes.

HOMEMADE CARAMELS

1 c. butter1 (16 oz.) pkg. brown sugar
Dash salt

1 c. light corn syrup

1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk

1 tsp. vanilla


Generously butter 9 x 9 x 2-inch pan. In heavy 3-quart pan, melt butter. Add sugar and dash of salt. Stir thoroughly. Stir in corn syrup. .

Gradually add sweetened condensed milk, stirring constantly



Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, to 245 degrees (firm ball). Mixture should boil gently over entire surface for 15 to 20 minutes.

Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. .


Cool completely

Cut with wet, sharp knife. Wrap in wax paper.

Some lovin' ready for the mail.

4 comments:

ai said...

that looks good. is mine on its way already? ;-)

pupule said...

hey ai!
if i had your address.....

Conn said...

you know.... i have never made caramels and they are my favorite candy by a long shot. i must try one day. thanks for the push.

pupule said...

Hi Conn:
I strongly recommend this recipe. It was incredibly easy and the caramels were gooooood. A couple of people commented that they did not care about the paper, they ate the pieces as well because the caramels were so good. Just don't be impatient like me. :)