Thursday, June 06, 2013

Pyrography

I came across these Flemish pyrography boxes last weekend.  I guess I never really paid attention to pyrography before, but these really caught my eye.  They were not all from the same vendor either.  I bought these because they were all so interesting in their own way.  They all have very nice patina as well.  The handwork and detail in each is wonderful.
 
 The longest box has some roses and was used for opera length gloves.  The inside is lined with this beautiful paper.
  This box had a poppy design.  .

I love the design of this box as well as the rich dark patina.  I am not sure whether or not you can make it out, but the top has "Gloves" engraved in it.


All of the boxes date from the early 1900's.  The only one I can find a definite date on is the rose box which has a date of 1908.  They make very nice art pieces as well as functional objects.

No comments: