Monday, November 11, 2013

Fiber Show

This weekend I stopped in on a fiber arts show.  It was very crowded which meant I did not last very long.  I hate trying to maneuver my way around while trying to view a piece without an obstruction (clueless observer) in my way.

There were plenty of quilts on view.


I enjoyed the slight abstraction of this one.


I admire anyone that can work with color in such a complicated way.  I cannot work with color in any way, shape or form.  That is why I only work in black and white photography.  I just cannot see in that way.



 
OK, this is the only commentary I will give regarding technique.  I have only made a few quilts so I am no expert.  I just prefer that I see the hand of the creator in the piece.  I want to see some hand quilting.  I do not like quilts that are both pieced and quilted by machine.  Even worse when the machine work is done by another party.  There is nothing wrong with it, I just prefer that it not be done this way.  I will get off my soapbox now. 

Look at all of that beautiful handwork done by this person.

 
These were some of the pieces I found the most interesting in the exhibit.  These were made by a woman who spends half of her year in Hong Kong.  These apartment buildings represented her life there.  The fabric was custom printed.  There is hand quilting as well as some applique work.


 
I was also intrigued by this piece which was a weaving with a Japanese influence.

No comments: