Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Ode to an eggplant


Not too long ago super eggplant posted about these Hershey's Hot Cocoa Creme Kisses. I was intrigued. I began a quest for a blossom like cookie that would compliment these new kisses. Unfortunately, I had never tasted one. These Kisses are a bit sweet. I thought that a nice espresso type cookie would be a good base. I needed a dough that was not very sweet and had a nice coffee flavor. I found a cappuccino based blossom and decided to doctor it a little bit and see what happens.

The recipe called for a small amount of instant coffee. I used that, but also finely ground some espresso beans and added that powder to the flour.
I noticed that something was amiss pretty early on. The dough was not firm enough for my liking, but I continued on. I left a few without the kiss center so that i could see what the cookie tasted like without the chocolaty sweetness of the kiss. I dunno. It was sort of tasteless. Even with the added espresso it did not have any coffee flavor.

Fresh out of the oven.

Something just isn't right. Back to the drawing board.

No comments: