Wednesday, July 01, 2009

'Cause that's how I felt

I have been curious about needle felting for quite some time now. I never did any real research about it. There were no classes around and I could not even find any place that sold the supplies I would need. I looked at some books, but it still wasn't clicking in my brain. So, one day I was chatting with the lovely Mariko and asked her if she had ever done any felting. Negative. OK, carry on.
Then, one day not long after that, a package containing this appeared on my doorstep. Get out!! A needle felting starter kit!

Now I had no excuse. I had to figure out how to do this. Back to some books. There really are no patterns. Just general instructions. I finally figured out that needle felting in 3D means creating your own individual figure. No cut out pattern. So, I finally dove in and attempted my first animals. They still need some tweaking and different eyes. No laughing! Here they are:
The Penguin who I thought was too skinny at first so I added a bigger belly.


The Baby Harp Seal


That's all I got for now. Hopefully, I will be able to make some more animals in the future. My thanks to the kind and thoughtful Mariko for getting me started.

3 comments:

mariko said...

Those look like real animals! Baby harp seal!!!

christina@pmv said...

Fun! That's such a relaxing hobby, right up until you jab yourself in the finger. Ouch ;-)

pupule said...

Mariko: It is all because of you.

Christina: Ah, yes. I have already jabbed myself so now I have needle paranoia.