Wednesday, September 23, 2009

More food...


I am sorry for all of the food posts, but everything is so beautiful at this time of year. Am I the only one who stares at all of the fresh produce? Above are the honeycrisp apples I bought last weekend. Below is the bright chard.

The chard was just wilted in olive oil and garlic and then served with steamed salmon.

I also happened to buy an enormous head of cauliflower. I measure the head and it has a diameter of 1o inches. I told you it was huge. I had a reason for purchasing it other than its freakishness.

I had been in Whole Foods and picked up their flyer. In it there was this recipe for cauliflower. I decided to try it one night. It was really good and incredibly easy. (It must have been for me to buy a huge cauliflower for one person). You should try it. I did not eat it with the pita pockets. I just ate it as a side dish.
Paprika Cauliflower pita pockets
serves 4
1 head cauliflower (2 ob.) cut into bite size florets
3 T olive oil
2 T sweet Hungarian paprika
1/2 t black pepper
1/2 t fine sea salt
1 small red onion, diced (1 cup)
1 clove garlic, minced (1 t)
1/2 c low sodium vegetable broth
2 T lemon juice
4 pita bread rounds, halved and warmed
Steam cauliflower 7 to 9 minutes or until tender. Heat oil, paprika, pepper and salt in nonstick skillet over medium-low heat, 2 minutes, or until fragrant, stirring constantly. Add onion and garlic, and saute 2 minutes more. Stir in broth and cauliflower and simmer 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice. Serve with pita halves.

No comments: