Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Line!

Having attended a large university where you were never quite sure that you knew everything that was going on, I had a tendency to get into a large line and then ask what it was for. It was a sort of insurance against my paranoia. I did not want to miss out on anything. Especially if it was a class I was supposed to be registering for. This weekend I drove past this very long line and wondered if I was missing out on something that everyone else seemed to know about. My first thought were "incredible house sale", but I was wrong. I went home and looked up the URL that was posted on a banner. There was a two day event in Chicago called Openhouse Chicago that was organized through the Architecture Foundation. It was a weekend when anyone could visit various architectural sites around the city on their own for no entry fee. There were sites all over the city. Some were not regularly open to the public. This particular site was pretty special. I have driven past this house my entire life. I thought it was a Frank Lloyd Wight house, but never thought about it anymore than that. I guess I was just so used to seeing it. This house, the "Emil Bach House" built in 1915 is a private residence that began the restoration process in 2006. It is usually not open to public viewing so it was a special treat. Of course, I had to go and get in line the next day. It was worth waiting a little while in line for this.

They have also done major work on the landscaping. These marigolds are initially a vast sea of colorful tulips in the beginning of spring.
This is from the sitting area and dining room looking back to the sun room.
Sitting area around the fireplace.
I love this dining room table and chairs.
I tried to get the panoramic view from inside one of the front bedrooms. I think my favorite detail in this house is the amount of windows and available light.
Every bedroom has a set of these glass doors which look as if they lead nowhere because there is wood behind them. They are actually doors to an outdoor terrace. Every bedroom leads out to a terrace.

Just outside the back door.


This is the structure behind the house which I think I might like even more than the house itself. I wish I had more detail shots, but it was crowded and you had to keep moving.

No comments: