Thursday, July 19, 2012

On Becoming a Dude

After my adventures in Cedarburg I realized that I might have started becoming a dude.  The above shot is from when I was last at Elkhorn. I used to look at booths filled with rusty tools and doodads and walk on by.  I had no need and I had no interest.  From what I could tell, there was also some type of dude appeal to those booths.  There were always crowds of dudes huddling about.   No more.  My interest was sparked by leather class and all of the tools we used. I found myself spending time shuffling through boxes of metal looking for treasure.    I walked around with loads of heavy iron and metal in my bag, sweating all the way.  By the end of the day I had been welcomed into the dude brotherhood.

I found this cobblers tool and swooped on it.  I think it has a very sculptural quality to it.
A nice old riveter.

Another cobbler's tool.  I think most people are buying these for decorative purposes, but I need to actually use it.
More tools. 

I wanted to share my irrational purchase.  I was doing so well all day.  I was so focused.  I did not have a single miss-step.  I bypassed many things that were good finds, but were not on my list. (Remember those scooters?)  Well, I cannot explain this metal horse's head.  I think it must be from an old post.  I saw it and bought it.  Luckily, it was not a lot of money.  I have no idea what I will do with it. All day I kept thinking about "The Godfather" as I walked around with a horse head in my bag.

No comments: