Saturday, July 21, 2012

Picked Off versus Market Warriors



Have you watched the pilot episodes of these shows?  I have and although they have similar rules to their "games", one of them seems to work a little better than the other.  "Picked Off" is the new show on the History channel and "Market Warriors" is the same type of show just added to PBS as a sort of "Antiques Roadshow" offspring.  They both have the same basic premise.  A group of people have a limited amount of time and money in which to scavenge through a flea market or some other source of treasure.  Once the time has expired, they return with their found items to have them or appraised or auctioned off.  The person who makes the greatest profit wins.  The contestants on "Picked Off" are supposed amateurs while those on "Market Warriors" are supposed to be professionals.  "Picked Off", just as the name implies, gives a team the boot at the conclusion of every round leaving one victorious team that wins $10,000.  The players on "Market Warriors" stays the same so there is no elimination.  I must say that I would prefer it if some of the market warriors got kicked off the island.  I found that the amateurs did a much better job than the so-called professionals  Not only in what they found and predicting the money it would bring in,k but also in their bargaining skills.  I am a rank amateur and I know I could have done some better bargaining than a few of the warriors.  Also, I hate to say this, but I do not like watching the chick.  There is only one woman in that cast and she drives me nuts.  I want to support her, but I just can't.  She not only makes some stupid mistakes, I find that her personality can grate the nerves.  Am I the only one?  I think that they are going to have to make some changes to "Market Warriors" in order to make it an interesting show that people want to watch.  Unfortunately, I was not  at all thinking that they had to get rid of Fred Willard, but with the"scandal" they are going to have to change that part of the show.  I was hoping to write a comparison each week, but the History channel got all hoity toity on me and is not placing anymore episodes online for free.  I have to pay for each episode on iTunes, and that is not going to happen.  Hopefully, "Market Warriors" will improve and I can write something about that each week.  On a completely different note, am I the only one that thought the guy that was on t he winning team in the Louisiana pilot was trying to be a cross between Johnny Depp and Jack White?


No comments: