Thursday, October 02, 2008

Cooler weather, warm oven



I am not working today. I am off hitting another church rummage sale. I am posting this the day before just as this dessert came out piping hot from the oven.
Today was a true fall day. The temperature did not pass 60. It was a little cloudy but every once in awhile the sunshine would come through. I have not usually been posting so much food, but here I go. This is a bad sign. The weather has just begun to change and I have already baked twice in the past three days. I have been waiting to try this recipe. Waiting for the weather to change, but not waiting too long in fear that the stone fruits disappear. I got this recipe from Apartment therapy which was from another blogger who changed it a bit from another, and so on, and so on.

I am not a lover of plums, but the recipe intrigued me. I do not particularly like them. I think it is because the skin can be so tart. I like them as an ingredient in items, I just don't go out of my way to find them.
This recipe was very simple and the result was tasty. The browning of the butter really adds an extra something to it. It is a great last minute dessert when you have unexpected company and it is supposed to be wonderful with ice cream. (I cannot comment. I am of the lactose intolerant team.)


Here is the recipe for you to try:

Brown Butter Plum Cake
8 or so plums, thickly sliced (or try peaches, apples, apricots)
3/4 cup + 3 Tbsp. sugar, divided
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
dash nutmeg
1/2 cup butter
2 large eggs
1 cup all-purpose flour
Preheat the oven to 350F and butter a pie plate.

Toss the fruit in a bowl with about 2 tbsp. of the sugar, the cinnamon and nutmeg. Spread into the plate.


Melt the butter in a saucepan or small frying pan and keep cooking it for about five minutes until it turns golden. (Swirl the pot occasionally and watch it carefully; it goes quickly from brown to black.)
Pour the butter into a bowl and add the 3/4 cup of sugar, then the eggs and flour. Pour over the fruit and sprinkle with one tablespoon of sugar.

Bake for 40 to 45 minutes until golden and the juices are coming up around the edges.
Delicious with vanilla ice cream.

I had mine naked without any accessories and it was yummy.

No comments: