Wednesday, April 01, 2009

March Madness

I know that you have probably been thinking that I am just sitting around watching basketball, but I have actually gotten a few things done in between games. Remember this? I found it in the alley one rainy day. I finally decided what I wanted to do with it. I had nothing to lose. It was free.

First I drew a picture and cut out a stencil from a leftover file folder. I wanted to use an image that would benefit from the wood pattern of the original piece.

From this I created another template out of contact paper. The only problem I had was making sure that the contact paper was thoroughly stuck to the door. There are spots that are not as crisp as I would have liked. I also decided I wanted to change out the door pulls for something simpler. I found these pulls that I had salvaged from some furniture being thrown out at an old workplace a few years ago. I had to fill one of the existing holes with wood filler and then drill a new hole to fit the new pulls.

I then covered it with two coats of primer and then two coats of a glossy white spray paint.

So far, so good. I removed the contact paper and attached the new hardware.

This is the finished product. Yay! I am going to use it in the kitchen to store cookbooks and dog treats. The top will be useful as my new landing strip.

No comments: