Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Weekend Flea

Last Saturday I went up to Wisconsin to check out a small flea market being held outside a small antique mall. I have not been to a flea market in a very long time. Well, if you don't count the Brooklyn Flea when I visit New York. As a small child I would be awakened in the middle of the night (around 3 or 4 a.m.) and hauled into the backseat of a car where I would sleep with the son of my Mom's best friend until we reached the flea market. These were the serious flea markets back then. We usually had to drive a few hours to get to certain parts of Wisconsin. We had to get there extremely early in order to get the best antiques. When I think back on it, as kids we never thought there was anything strange about this. Anyway, as an adult I have not been frequenting flea markets. This was a good foray back in. It was small, not too early (around 8:30) and it did not take long to get there (less than an hour). The people were really nice (hey, it is Wisconsin) and the prices were reasonable.
I was surprised to find that the prices inside the mall were reasonable as well. It is good to know when you want a bargain and it is snowy and cold outside.
I found this great big old men's Timex. I have a thing for men's watches and have been looking for a big one for some time. This was only $4.
I found this handmade tool box. The drawers are wood. It is pretty cool and I will use it to house my smaller letterpress type.
This is some of the other random things I picked up there as well.

A fun day was had by all. I spotted a sign for another one in a few weeks a little bit closer and will probably check it out and report back.

No comments: